Vitrulan company history

2016
Marktschorgast / Haselbach
Majority takeover by Adcuram

The industrial holding company Adcuram Group AG in Munich acquires a 90% stake in the Vitrulan Group as part of a succession plan. A purchase agreement to this effect is signed by the shareholders on the 7 October 2016. The previous majority shareholder Hans Peter Cordts continues to lead the Vitrulan Group as Managing Director and retains a 10 percent stake in the operating companies Vitrulan Textile Glass GmbH in Marktschorgast and Vitrulan Technical Textiles GmbH in Haselbach.

2015
Marktschorgast
Market launch of AcousTherm and cellulose fleece

The innovative AcousTherm wallpaper becomes available in autumn 2015. It noticeably reduces reverberation, absorbs sound waves and at the same time slows down the flow of heat into the masonry. This helps improve the acoustics of noisy rooms and saves energy into the bargain. An impressive performance for a material which is just 3.0 mm thick. Vitrulan also introduces a cellulose fleece to complete its range of wall coverings.

2013
Haselbach / Marktschorgast
On October 1, 2013, Rolf Klöpfer takes over from Friedhelm Schwender as Sales and Marketing Director.
2012
Haselbach / Marktschorgast
20th anniversary of Vitrulan Technical Textiles GmbH

Just in time for the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of VTT Haselbach, renovation of the administrative building is completed and the Vitrulan company history book is published.

VTT is awarded the MuT “company of the year” prize by the South Thuringia Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

On December 1, 2012, after 32 successful years at Vitrulan, Karl-Heinz Will retires from his position as Finance and HR Director at Vitrulan Textile Glass GmbH in Marktschorgast and at Vitrulan Technical Textiles in Haselbach. He is succeeded by Florian Krome.

2011
«
»
Marktschorgast / Haselbach
New CI of Vitrulan Group

Presentation of a new corporate image of Vitrulan Group and change of name from Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH to Vitrulan Textile Glass GmbH.

Hans-Jochen Häusler joins the management board of Vitrulan Technical Textiles GmbH.

2010
Marktschorgast
Market launch of SYSTEXX by Vitrulan

Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH launches SYSTEXX by Vitrulan – the first wall covering with a lifetime guarantee.

2008
«
»
Marktschorgast / Haselbach
Reorganziation of group structure continues

Foundation of Vitrulan Technical Textiles based in Haselbach and transfer of reinforcement and backing products from Vitrulan Textilglas.

In its capacity as a holding company, Vitrulan International GmbH takes over management of the Vitrulan Group and continues in its tradition as a family business.

Michael Gebhardt joins Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH as managing director.

2007
«
»
Marktschorgast
Market launch of the first, magnetically-active wall covering

First shipment of magnetically-active wall covering.The visible side is made of glass fabric, the back of a magnetically-active coating. The patent is registered in November 2005.

Haselbach
Production expansion

Production start of high-quality staple fibers for deco fabrics and the building of a new production facility.Depending on the intended use or individual customer request, different product qualities, e.g. regarding stiffness, softness, smoothness or color, may be achieved by varying the composition of the finish. By using the respective additives, it is possible to give the fabric certain physical properties, such as making it flame-retardant of alkali-resistant.

2006
Moskau / Marktschorgast / Haselbach
Founding of Vitrulan OOO Moskow

Founding of Vitrulan International GmbH as holding company of Vitrulan Group with Peter Cordts as sole shareholder and managing director.

Founding of Vitrulan OOO Moscow as 100% subsidiary in Russia.

At the Marktschorgast location, some 7 million euros are invested in the expansion of logistics, production and the building of new production halls and warehouses.

2004
«
»
Zeil
Plant closure

Closure of the plant in Zeil am Main.

2002
«
»
Haselbach
Glass mesh

Production start of glass mesh fabric to reinforce plastered or drywall substrates.

Valmiera
Equity interest in business enterprise to ensure raw material supply

Strategic investment of 33% in Valmiera Stikla Skiedra AG, Latvia, to ensure supply of raw material.

2001
«
»
Marktschorgast
Product innovation: Aqua technology

Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH introduces glass wall coverings with “Aqua technology”. This innovation features an adhesive that is already applied on the fabric and is activated just by water.

Haselbach
New building for the glass staple fiber spinning mill

The spinning mill manufactures glass staple fiber sliver from glass pellets. The glass is molten at around 1150°C in bushings. The molten glass emerges from up to 1200 nozzles on the underside of the bushing and is then collected on a rotating drum.

The filaments are passed through a spinneret and spun to form a staple fiber band. Wound on a bobbin and packaged, the finished staple fiber band is used as weft material by the respective departments, e.g. weaving or twisting mill, or shipped to Marktschorgast for further processing.

1998
Melk / Haselbach
Production relocation

Closure of the location in Melk and relocation of production to Haselbach.

1996
Haselbach
100th anniversary celebrates completion of renovation measures

Just in time for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of “Glaswerk Haselbach”, all renovation measures are completed, involving investments of some 20 million German marks, demolition of the old facility maintenance building and the building of a new big warehouse. Shutdown of the glass melting furnace for glass tubes and rods in Haselbach and investment in the building of a cutting-edge glass staple fiber spinning mill.

Haselbach produces:
- glass rods and tubes made of clear and colored glass
- glass staple fiber sliver
- glass staple fiber single and ply-twisted yarn
- bitumen-saturated glass fabric
- glass mesh

1995
«
»
Melk

In Melk/Austria, a glass deco fabric production plant is purchased from the competitor Tasso and converted into a production site for mesh fabric.

Marktschorgast
Management change

Peter Cordts, son of Hans F. Cordts, is appointed technical managing director.

Karl-Heinz Will (finances) and Friedhelm Schwender (sales) join the management board of Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH in 1996. The company is certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001.

1992
Haselbach
Takeover of “Glaswerk Haselbach”

Following German reunification, the shareholders of Hans F. Cordts take over the Haselbach glass factory in Thuringia on May 8, 1992. Under the former ownership of the Schuller company, the factory had already supplied the Marktschorgast plant during the GDR era. At the time of the takeover, the Haselbach glass factory specializes in the production of glass rods and spinning of glass fibers

With high investments in buildings and production facilities, the location is transformed to an efficient manufacturing plant for bitumen-saturated glass fabric, reinforcement fabric, staple fibers and other technical textile products.

1989
Marktschorgast / Zeil
Economic boom

The plants in Marktschorgast and Zeil are running at full capacity, producing
- glass deco fabrics
- glass reinforcement fabrics for plastered and coated surfaces
- glass fabric corner brackets for building and window reveals
- bitumen glass fabric as protective and carrier material for onshore and offshore pipeline insulation
- glass insulating products to protect against heat and energy losses
- textile glass mesh for packaging material, ribbons, fabrics and ready-made products

Vitrulan increases the automation of glass deco fabric production and introduces automated single box packaging.

Hopes in regaining possession of the Steinach plant after the reunification dwindle: the buildings are partly derelict and the glass fiber fleece and extra-fine glass fibers manufactured there hardly fit in Vitrulan’s product portfolio.

1979
Zeil am Main
Expansion of mesh fabric production

The former AEG Telefunken plant in Zeil am Main is purchased and subsequently transformed into a location for the production of mesh fabrics for external thermal insulation laminate systems

1978
Marktschorgast
Founding of "Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH"

“Textiglasfabrik Hans F.C. Cordts” is renamed “Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH” and the name “Vitrulan” is registered as a trademark.

A new production hall of 8,000 sqm is opened in Marktschorgast to meet the huge increase in demand for glass deco fabrics.

1971-74
Marktschorgast
Development of new application areas

Sales plummet in the wake of key customer VW’s crisis and the general recession on account of the oil crisis. New application areas and markets for glass deco, glass mesh and glass bitumen fabrics as well as glass insulation products at home and abroad are developed.

1973
Hamburg / Marktschorgast
Succession and next generation

Looking back on over 50 years of company history , the company founder retires and hands over complete control of the business to his son, Hans F. Cordts, merchant and engineer, who transfers all business operations from Hamburg to Marktschorgast.

In addition to expanding the export business (e.g. Scandinavia, Austria, Netherlands), other areas of application are explored: - Lamp shades made from glass fabric - First wall coverings made of textile glass - Glass mesh fabric

1968
«
»
Haselbach
New products and new names

Names and affiliations change over the next few years: VVB «Technisches Glas, Ilmenau», «Technisches Glas, Ilmenau» plant, business unit of the Altenfeld glass factory, Haselbach glass factory within the state combine «Technisches Glas, Ilmenau».

1962
Haselbach / Marktschorgast
Hans F. Cordts appointed sole managing director

In 1962, the father of Hans F. Cordts appoints him sole managing director of the “Gesellschaft Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Society of the Thuringian Glass Wool Industry), formerly S. Koch GmbH. Until the end of the sixties, the Hamburg office is responsible for the marketing of all products manufactured by the Marktschorgast plant as well as by various service providers.

1960
«
»
Marktschorgast
Further development and innovation

Development of special heat insulation components with synthetic coating for VW. Additional innovations: Glass fabric for lamp shades and roofing membranes as well as the first glass deco fabrics.

1959
«
»
Haselbach
"Glaswerk Haselbach"

“Wernerhütte” is transformed into the nationally owned company “VEB Glaswerk Haselbach”.

1958
Hamburg / Marktschorgast
Founding of “Textilglasfabrik Hans F.C. Cordts”

Despite the loss of the Steinach factory, Hans F.C. Cordts continues business operations, buying and selling the textile glass products of the Coburg-based Schuller company, which has also suffered the expropriation of its Haselbach factory in Thuringia .He even manages to win VW as customer, which fits the insulating products into the VW Beetle.

Moreover, glass fabric is found to be a good substitute for jute. Glass fabrics with a reinforcing finish for bitumen membranes sell well. To meet the increasing requirements of bitumen membranes, Hans F.C. Cordts decides to build his own factory, which is opened in Marktschorgast, Upper Franconia, in May 1958 with 3 employees.

The headquarters of “Textilglasfabrik Hans F.C. Cordts” founded the same year remain in Hamburg.

1946
Steinach / Haselbach
Expropriation by the USSR

After the war:
Sequestration of the Steinach company by the USSR for reparation payments.

The Soviet occupying power expropriates «Wernerhütte» without compensation, the glass factory in Haselbach is turned into a Soviet corporation (SAG).

1943
Haselbach
Expansion

Glass staple fiber sliver replaces asbestos, more than 250 tons of glass fiber is produced each year. Building of a new glass drawing facility and batch house.

1936-38
Haselbach
Progress

Development of a weavable glass fiber and refinement of the melt spinning process, to wind them as they are being pulled from the glass preform. The glass fibers are used for the production of textile glass in “Wernerhütte” of the Schuller family.

1931
«
»
Steinach
First wall covering made of glass

A genuine innovation: the company produces the first wall covering made of fine glass weave – from colored glass. The first ideas were developed when replacing asbestos felt in bitumen membranes by glass wool mats.

Manufacturing techniques change: instead of drawing glass fibers from silica preforms, the molten glass is drawn through a bushing. Some 45 furnaces ran in Steinach until 1945!

Haselbach
Grant of patent

W. Schuller is granted the patent on a method for the continuous production of cylindrical glass bodies in a vertical drawing process..

1929
Hamburg / Steinach
Vitrulan registered as business name

The name “Vitrulan” is registered as a trademark (derived from the Latin “Vitrum = glass” and “Lana = wool”.)

New products, such as insulating jackets made of glass fibers are developed, enabling the clean, quick and thus cost-effective insulation of piping. The products are sold from Hamburg where the company has its offices in the “Chilehaus” building. Business develops exceptionally well.

Vitrulan insulation products are used for trains of the German national railway company, district heating of airports, pipelines of big vessels, sugar factories, oil refineries and coking plants.

1924
Steinach
Production relocated to Steinach

More production space is required due to the good business development. As a result, production is relocated from Lauscha to Steinach and expanded. More than 10,000 kilograms of glass wool are produced each day!

1921
«
»
Hamburg / Lauscha
Founding of “Thüringische Glaswollindustrie”

The Hamburg-based glass eye dealers Cordts and Goldmann have been in contact with glassmakers in Lauscha, Thuringia for a long time.

Together they discover that the angel hair used as a Christmas decoration causes the wax of the candles to melt since the heat radiating from lit candles is reflected.

On November 11 in Lauscha, they found the “Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Thuringian glass wool industry) together with Septimius Koch and Karl Greiner-Petter.

The company focuses on large-volume production of glass wool, selling it worldwide from the trading hub Hamburg.

1896
Haselbach
Founding of a glass factory

J. and H. Schuller found a glass factory in Haselbach / Thuringia and have it registered as “Glasfabrik Haselbach” on September 16. It is renamed “Wernerhütte” a few years later. Production of glass tubes and marbles; from 1901 also tablet and test tubes (manufactured by the in-house glassblowing shop).

Load history …

We are pleased that you are interested in our products and services we offer online at vitrulan.com. In order to provide you with the best possible service, we store information about your visit in "cookies". By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of these cookies.

OK More information