Skip to main content
Pinned favorites

How it all began...

1896 Founding of a glass factory in Haselbach/Thuringia by J. and H. Schuller
+
Founding of a glass factory in Haselbach/Thuringia by J. and H. Schuller

Haselbach: J. and H. Schuller found a glass factory in Haselbach/Thuringia and have it registered as “Glasfabrik Haselbach” on September 16. It is renamed “Wernerhütte” a few years later. Production of glass tubes and marbles; from 1901 also tablet and test tubes (manufactured by the in-house glassblowing shop).

1921 Founding of “Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Thuringian glass wool industry)
+
Founding of “Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Thuringian glass wool industry)

Hamburg/Lauscha: The Hamburg-based glass eye dealers Cordts and Goldmann have been in contact with glassmakers in Lauscha, Thuringia for a long time. Together they discover that the angel hair used as a Christmas decoration causes the wax of the candles to melt since it reflects the heat radiating from lit candles. Glass fiber hair is now used for heat insulation. On November 11 in Lauscha, they found the “Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Thuringian glass wool industry) together with Septimius Koch and Karl Greiner-Petter. The company focuses on large-volume production of glass wool, selling it worldwide from the trading hub Hamburg.

1924 Steinach: expansion of production space
+

Steinach: Business develops so positively, more production space is required. Production is relocated from Lauscha to Steinach and expanded. More than 10,000 kilograms of glass wool are produced each day!

1929 Haselbach/Steinach

Business develops exceptionally well. Vitrulan insulation products are used for trains of the German national railway company, the piping of big ships, in sugar factories and oil refineries.

1931 First wall covering made of fine glass weave
+

Steinach/Hamburg: a genuine innovation! The company produces the first wall covering made of fine glass weave – from colored glass. The name “Vitrulan” is registered as a trademark (derived from the Latin “Vitrum = glass” and “Lana = wool”.)

1943

Expansion in Haselbach: glass staple fiber sliver replaces asbestos, more than 250 tons of glass fiber is produced each year; a new glass drawing facility and batch house are built.

1946

Steinach/Haselbach: sequestration of the Steinach company by the USSR after the war for reparation payments.

1958 Building of the Marktschorgast plant
+

Hamburg/Marktschorgast: despite the loss of the Steinach factory, Hans F.C. Cordts continues business operations. He even manages to win VW as customer, which fits Vitrulan’s insulating products into the VW Beetle. Glass fabrics with a reinforcing finish for bitumen membranes sell well. To meet the increasing requirements of bitumen membranes, Hans F.C. Cordts decides to build his own factory, which is opened in Marktschorgast in Upper Franconia with 3 employees in May 1958.

1960
+

Marktschorgast: development of special heat insulation components with synthetic coating for VW. Additional innovations: glass fabric for lamp shades and roofing membranes as well as the first glass deco fabrics.

1962
+

1962, Hamburg: Hans F. Cordts’ father appoints him sole managing director of the “Gesellschaft Thüringische Glaswollindustrie” (Society of the Thuringian Glass Wool Industry), formerly S. Koch GmbH. Until the end of the sixties, the Hamburg office is responsible for the marketing all products manufactured by the Marktschorgast plant as well as by various service providers.

1968
+

1968, Haselbach: production start of glass compounds for neon tubes and semi-conductors.

1973 Management change
+

Hamburg/Marktschorgast: Looking back on over 50 years of company history, the company founder retires and hands over complete control of the business to his son, Hans F. Cordts, merchant and engineer, who transfers all business operations from Hamburg to Marktschorgast. In addition to expanding the export business (e.g. Scandinavia, Austria, Netherlands), other areas of application are explored: lamp shades made from glass fabric, first wall coverings made of textile glass, and glass mesh fabrics.

1978
+

1978: “Textiglasfabrik Hans F.C. Cordts” is renamed “Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH” and the name “Vitrulan” is registered as a trademark. A new 8,000 sqm production hall is opened in Marktschorgast to meet the huge increase in demand for glass deco fabrics.

1979
+

Zeil am Main: the former AEG Telefunken plant in Zeil am Main is purchased and subsequently transformed into a location for the production of mesh fabrics for external thermal insulation composite systems.

1989
+

Marktschorgast/Zeil: both plants are operating at full capacity. They produce glass deco fabrics, glass reinforcement fabrics, glass fabric corner beads, bitumen glass fabric as a protective and carrier material for onshore and offshore pipeline insulation, glass insulating products, braided textile glass for packaging material, ribbons, and ready-made products.

1992 Haselbach: Following German reunification, the shareholders of Hans F. Cordts take over the Haselbach glass factory in Thuringia on May 8, 1992.
+
Haselbach: Following German reunification, the shareholders of Hans F. Cordts take over the Haselbach glass factory in Thuringia on May 8, 1992.

Under the former ownership of the Schuller company, the factory had already supplied the Marktschorgast plant during the GDR era. At the time of the takeover, the Haselbach glass factory specializes in the production of glass rods and the spinning of glass fibers. With high investments in buildings and production facilities, the location is transformed into an efficient manufacturing plant for bitumen-saturated glass fabric, reinforcement fabric, staple fibers and other technical textile products.

1995
+

Melk: in Melk/Austria, a glass deco fabric production plant is purchased from competitor Tasso and converted into a production site for mesh fabric.

1995
+

1995, Marktschorgast: Peter Cordts, son of Hans F. Cordts, is appointed technical managing director. The company is certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001.

1996 100th anniversary in Haselbach
+

Renovation is completed just in time to celebrate 100 years of “Glaswerk Haselbach”: investments of some 20 million German marks, demolition of the old facility maintenance building and the building of a new big warehouse. The glass melting furnace for glass tubes and rods in Haselbach is shut down and investments made in the building of a cutting-edge glass staple fiber spinning mill.

1998
+

Melk/Haselbach: Melk production is relocated to Haselbach.

2001

Marktschorgast: Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH introduces glass wall coverings with Aqua Technology. This innovation features an adhesive that is already applied on the fabric and is activated just by water.

2001
+

2001, Haselbach: The spinning mill manufactures glass staple fiber sliver from glass pellets. The finished staple fiber band is used as weft material by the respective departments, e.g. weaving or twisting mill, or shipped to Marktschorgast for further processing.

2002
+

2002, Valmiera/Marktschorgast: Strategic investment of 33% in Valmiera Stikla Skiedra AG, Latvia, to ensure supply of raw material.

2002

Haselbach: Production start of glass mesh fabric to reinforce plastered or drywall substrates.

2004

Zeil/Haselbach: relocation of production from Zeil am Main to Haselbach.

2006
+

2006, Marktschorgast: Founding of Vitrulan International GmbH as a holding company with Peter Cordts as sole shareholder and managing director. Some 7 million euros are invested in the expansion of logistics and production in Marktschorgast.

2006
+

2006, Moscow/Marktschorgast: founding of Vitrulan International GmbH as a holding company with Peter Cordts as sole shareholder and managing director. Founding of Vitrulan 000 Moscow as a subsidiary in Russia. Some 7 million euros are invested in the expansion of logistics and production in Marktschorgast.

2007
+

2007, Marktschorgast: First shipment of magnetic wall covering. The visible side is made of glass fabric, the back of a magnetic coating. The patent is registered in November 2005.

2007
+

Haselbach: Production start of premium quality staple fibers for deco fabrics and building of a new production facility for the finishing process. Depending on the intended use or individual customer request, different product qualities can now be achieved by varying the composition of the finish.

2008 New group structure
+

Foundation of Vitrulan Technical Textiles based in Haselbach and transfer of reinforcement and backing products from Vitrulan Textilglas. In its capacity as a holding company, Vitrulan International GmbH takes over management of the Vitrulan Group.

2010 SYSTEXX by Vitrulan
+

Vitrulan Textilglas GmbH launches its first own brand with SYSTEXX by Vitrulan.

2012 Anniversary in Haselbach

Just in time for the 20th anniversary of VTT, remodeling of the administrative building is completed. VTT receives the MuT “company of the year” award from the South Thuringia Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

2015
+

Marktschorgast: The production of glass fabrics as wall coverings and wall papers is under constant development. The AcousTherm wall covering becomes available in autumn 2015. It noticeably reduces reverberation, and absorbs sound waves while slowing down the flow of heat into the masonry.

2016
+

2016: The industrial holding company Adcuram Group AG in Munich acquires a 90% stake in the Vitrulan Group as part a succession plan. The purchase agreement is signed by the shareholders on October 7, 2016. The previous majority shareholder Hans Peter Cordts retains a 10% stake in the operating companies Textile Glass and Technical Textiles.

2018 Founding of V4heat GmbH
+

The newly founded V4heat GmbH becomes a member of the Vitrulan Group. It stands for the development and sale of intelligent infrared heating systems. Vitrulan remains loyal to “glass” as a versatile material: its innovative V4heat surface heating solutions are based on glass mesh fabrics, which are comparable to the reinforcement mesh manufactured for use in the construction industry.

2019 Sales cooperation with Knauf Gips KG
+
Sales cooperation with Knauf Gips KG

Marktschorgast/Iphofen: In a sales cooperation with Knauf Gips KG, the two companies jointly develop and launch an acoustic ceiling system that provides top acoustic performance with an attractive surface. Long awaited by architects, this solution creates a smooth, closed, acoustically effective ceiling.

Close